Did you know that today, June 9th is Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day?
Rhubarb is very in season now and nothing short of tartly delicious – in fact, it’s one of our very own, Chef Chris’ favorite desserts! He wanted to share his chocolatey take on the strawberry rhubarb-classic with all of you to enjoy. Let us know how yours turned out!
Chris’ Strawberry Rhubarb Chocolate Espresso Mousse
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Strawberries diced
- 1 Cup Rhubarb diced
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Lillet Rogue or sweet red wine
- 12 oz. Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 Large Eggs yolks and whites separated
- ½ tsp Cream of tartar
- ¼ Cup Sugar + 2 tbsp.
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream cold
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Instant Espresso or Coffee
Chocolate Shells using Water Ballons
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 6 oz Semisweet Chocolate best quality
Make the Mousse
- Combine 1 cup sugar, water and Lillet Rouge in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Heat on medium heat until just simmering. Add strawberries and rhubarb, stir to combine. Remove from heat and let it sit. Refrigerate and use within 7 days.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring between each time. Once chocolate is just melted and smooth, let sit for a minute for it cool slightly. Mix in yolks one at a time, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites on medium high in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks start forming. Gradually add in the ¼ cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla and instant espresso. Beat until medium peaks are formed. Fold egg mixture into the chocolate mixture making sure not to overmix. Then fold in the whipped cream, once again making sure not to overmix.
Make Chocolate Shells
- Grease cookie tray and use up desired number of balloons, with extra in case they pop. Melt the unsalted butter and the semisweet chocolate together in a microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring between each time.
- Once chocolate is just melted and smooth, dip blown up balloons in chocolate. Set on greased cookie tray, place in freezer for it to set up. After 30 minutes or until set, pop balloons. Making sure to remove all remnants that could remain. Set aside in fridge until use.
- In chocolate shells layer chocolate mousse, diced fruit mixture and fresh strawberries. Garnish with a sprinkle of instant espresso and mint sprig if desired. Enjoy!